It’s been just over a month since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare dropped and Infinity Ward has finally released the first big content drop for the game.
After several years of controversy in the industry, Call of Duty has adopted a new model for its post-launch content. Infinity Ward decided not to include loot boxes or charge for additional maps, instead opting for the notorious battle pass route. Today, the battle pass officially launched with three new maps, new weapons, cosmetics, and more.
Every player will have access to the first 20 levels of the battle pass which includes operator skins, new guns, and more. To go beyond the first 20 levels, you can pay $10 for the premium battle pass which has an additional 80 levels. You will continue to unlock more skins, double XP, additional COD Points which can be used to purchase extra cosmetic items a la carte.
If you want to spend $20, you can bypass the first 20 levels of the battle pass and get all of those items right away on top of having access to the premium battle pass levels. If you hit level 100, you’ll get even more COD Points than what you used to buy the battle pass.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has also received a handful of new maps and modes. Players can experience classic Call of Duty maps like Vacant, Crash, and the beloved close-quarters map, Shipment. Gunfight and Ground War have also gotten new maps to help beef up their relatively limited map rotations.
“Since Modern Warfare’s launch it’s been great sharing a steady stream of new playable content, but today’s launch of Season One takes things to a new level for all players. We’re rolling out multiplayer maps like Crash, Vacant and Shipment; Gunfight maps Cargo, Atrium, and Shipment; a Ground War map Port; three new multiplayer modes; five new Special Ops experiences and two new weapons,” said Patrick Kelly, Co-Studio Head and Creative Director, Infinity Ward. “This is the largest free content drop in Call of Duty history, and we’re excited that everyone can play all of this new Modern Warfare content together across all platforms.”
Co-op fans will also find new Spec Ops missions both through new Operations and Classic Spec-Ops missions that help expand the Modern Warfare universe. This isn’t the end of content for the “season”, though. Infinity Ward promises more modes like the iconic party mode, Infected, in the coming weeks. You can view the full breakdown of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s season one content drop below.
- New Multiplayer Maps: Fan-favorite multiplayer map from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Crash is remastered and reimagined as a helicopter crash site in Urzikstan, featuring all the flanking routes and action-packed rooftop encounters you remember. But, that’s not all. Joining Crash later in the season are two more reimagined maps from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, including Vacant, an abandoned office leading to intense interior combat across the complex, and Shipment, where fast and frenetic action reigns supreme.
- New 2v2 Gunfight Maps: Jump into fast-paced, intense 2v2 matches on the new Atrium map set in a Verdansk palace, and the new Cargo map, an open-roof storage facility within the barge of a cargo container ship in the London Docks. In addition, Shipment will also be available as a 2v2 Gunfight map later in the season.
- New Ground War Map: Engage in epic all-out war squaring off with 64 players on Port, a unique large-scale Ground War map set across cargo containers, cranes, buildings, and streets.
- Classic Special Ops Experiences: In Pitch Black, infil into Barkov’s vacant estate to recover and transmit all on-site intel to your tactical rover. In Grounded, engage and eliminate Al Qatala militants who have seized Barkov’s former airbase to steal weaponry and air assets. Bomb Squad will arrive further into Season One, where Armistice Team 4 QRF must defuse IEDs planted in an Urzikstan city before detonation.
- New Special Ops Operations: In Operation Strongbox, use the crypto keys you’ve stolen to assault the bank, break into the vault, and put The Banker out of business. In Operation Just Reward, coming to all players later in the season, cut off Al Qatala’s money supply in Verdansk and target the head of their financial operation by hacking the Banker’s mobile data centers.
- New Multiplayer Game Modes: In Reinforce, a hybrid mode between Domination, Search & Destroy, and Search & Rescue, capture points to revive fallen teammates and take all points to win the round. Further into Season One, additional modes will go live including Infected, where it’s hunt or be hunted in the survival party game mode where eliminated survivors become infected. In O.S.P. Gunfight, the same mechanics of traditional Gunfight apply, with the distinct difference that players begin each match with no weapons or equipment and must pick them up once the match begins.
- New Weapons: Earnable for free for all players, the RAM-7 introduces a new fully automatic bullpup Assault Rifle, while the Holger-26 is an LMG spec of the Holger model rifle.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is out now on Xbox One, PS4, and PC. You can click here to read our review.